Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Closed Sessions

I'm not the most political person...anymore, meaning I used to be. Meaning, I used to be involved in political campaigns and activities in the area. Now I'm not because I've realized that politics is all about disagreeing and bickering about things. It's not just bickering between the parties, it's bickering within "a singular" party. So I've decided to not take part. I'll still inform myself of the issues and go to the polls every election, but I'm just-not-going-to-get-involved-anymore. It's just not worth it to me. I'd rather live a positive life and and make do with what is handed to me, if that is what is required of me. However, if an issue arises which I support, I will no doubt lend my voice if I feel change is needed. I believe in the freedom to assemble and freedom of speech. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything out there that I believe is capable of being changed. It's sad I know, but it's the truth. I think we saw during the Vietnam war, that in reality, it's the top members of our society that have the control...reason number two why I don't want to get involved in politics. Politicians as I've been able to deduct, clamour for power and don't think of their citizens who their actions affect. Maybe they do a little, but I feel insignificant in the scheme of politics, but in the scheme of life, I feel I have a considerable role to play. I want to live a significant life dedicated to living and being a part of the world.

One way I feel that I am a part of the world is being a part of my community. I affect each and every person that I come in contact with every day. They go into the community and affect others, and then those people go and affect others and so on and so on. If you saw the movie "Pay it Forward," you probably grasp the concept. Most people affect other people negatively, and this is what makes change and progress difficult to achieve. I think closed city council meetings is a negative action. Tonight I watched the Raytown City Council meeting for about an hour and watched the debate about changing zip codes, building contracts, etc, etc. Then suddenly, they said the open meeting was adjourned and would conclude with a closed session. What could there possibly be that they are discussing that I can't be informed about? City government is the closest form of government that a citizen can really be involved in and we were being shut out. This makes me believe that my civil life within my community is not an aspect that I get to be involved in. I want to be involved, I want to know what's going to happen to the old First Baptist Church in Raytown, or what exactly is happening with the Hy-Vee they're going to put in where the Schnuck's used to be. Politicians are always talking about informing the public, but if the government is inhibiting public knowledge at the lowest levels of government, then what is my Federal Government doing to deter my awareness. It kind of scares me to think about it, but I will live my life the way I see fit and affect change in a manner that is often ignored.

I will affect change in a way that is positive. I will shed light to those wanting to hear, about people who live ordinary lives within my community, but who have an affect on the community great or small. All I have to do now is find my first interviewee...

Stay tuned!

No comments: